Hair loss and thinning can arise due to hormonal imbalances, ageing and stress. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy for Hair Restoration is a three-step treatment that effectively treats hair loss. The process, in which blood is drawn, spun and later injected into the tissues of the scalp, aims to stimulate natural hair regrowth. It's particularly ideal for those with thinning hair and areas of baldness that haven't responded to over-the-counter remedies.
PRP therapy is suitable for men and women who suffer from different kinds of hair loss, given that it improves blood supply to the hair follicles and increases thickness of the hair shafts.
At b.e.a Skin Clinic, we can boost the results of Hair Restoration treatment by combining it with red and near infrared Light Therapy. This non-invasive, relaxing treatment further stimulates follicular growth and helps minimise hair fall. Mechanical Microneedling and mesotherapy injections may also form part of a comprehensive Hair Restoration treatment plan. Mechanical needling involves the use of our ‘no tear’ Dermapen, together with a portion of PRP solution or other active ingredients, whereas Mesotherapy micro-injections for hair regrowth deposit essential vitamins such as Biotin (Vitamin H) into the scalp.
PRP is a treatment that involves the use of your own blood. First, this is drawn using a butterfly needle - similar to the type used in IV therapy. This blood is then processed in a centrifuge machine in order to produce plasma, a clear yellow substance of which a portion is rich in platelets. The final element of PRP treatment preparation involves drawing the platelet-rich portion of this plasma into a syringe for injection. It is then injected into the tissues of the scalp, in order to support hair regrowth.
The reason why we use platelets is because they play a key in the body’s healing processes. They are major components of our blood, along with red and white blood cells. All of these cells perform unique functions and in the body, platelet function is primarily associated with the prevention of blood loss. Whenever a wound or cut is sustained, platelets are the body’s “initial responders”; they arrive at the site of injury to stop the bleeding and support healing.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is extracted from the patient’s blood and spun in a centrifugation machine, which separates the blood from plasma and simultaneously increases the concentration of platelets that promote tissue repair and healing. Typically, PRP tubes contain anti-coagulants and separator gel although we sometimes add active ingredients after centrifugation to enhance hair growth, such as Biotin.
Platelets, when injected back into the skin or scalp, accelerate healing. This mechanism of action of platelet-rich plasma helps men and women beat hair loss.
PRP heals the delicate tissues of the scalp as well as hair follicles and even hair shafts damaged by extrinsic factors such as over-bleaching, exposure to the sun, use of chemical shampoos, injury and so on. Once these damaged tissues heal, they’re able to start producing new hair again with improved efficiency. Treatments ultimately increase hair growth and volume.
PRP contains natural proteins and growth factors that speed up tissue repair. As most forms of hair loss occur due to damaged hair shafts and follicles, PRP can effectively help to regrow hair. It is specifically suitable for reversing processes that are responsible for male pattern baldness.
Hair restoration treatments can be taken in isolation or in combination. To help you derive a visible change in your hairline within a shorter period of time, we recommend combining this treatment with red and near infrared Light Therapy sessions, mechanical Microneedling with our No-Tear Dermapen and Mesotherapy injections.
Common indications for this treatment include:
- Male pattern baldness
- Age-related hair thinning
- Hormonal imbalances
- Localised hair loss due to injury
- Scalp infection
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Hair loss as a side effect of medications or medical treatments
- During your first appointment, our Skin Specialists will discuss your specific skin concerns along with anything else bothering you
- Our experts will analyse your scalp and hair to determine its needs. Depending on the findings, a customised solution using PRP will be recommended alongside any home care products, supplements or additional treatments with Biotin to optimise your results
- On the day of your procedure, we will first make sure your scalp is free of any build-up, products and/or cosmetics
- Numbing injections or cream can be applied to the treatment sites, although this isn't always necessary
- Using a fine needle, PRP will be administered to areas affected by hair loss
- PRP is administered evenly throughout the affected skin areas to ensure consistent delivery
- Aftercare products are applied to the treated parts in order to to soothe the skin, and minimise redness and swelling
- You may resume normal activities immediately after the session is complete
Most people need 3 sessions of PRP Hair Restoration therapy spaced about 4 to 6 weeks apart. Maintenance sessions are required every 4 to 6 months. The treatment can be combined with other scalp-based treatments to enhance the results and generate faster regrowth.
Before and After
Book A Consultation
Monday - Friday: 10am-8pm
T: +44 (0)203 322 5958
98 Crawford Street,
Pikes Hotel, Ibiza
Grote Market 32,