WHAT IS DNA?
Every cell in the human body contains “Genes” that determine all our physical, emotional and intellectual traits and in fact greatly influence our health and physical fitness as well our predisposition to disease and response to medication. These genes are made up of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) and are the template to make proteins in our body. We inherit our genes from our parents and pass them onto our children.
The interesting thing about Human DNA is that 99% of its constituents are identical between individuals and only the remaining 1% are unique. This unique one percent contains small variations known as SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) and these little variations make each one of us the distinct person we are.
WHAT DNA LIFE?
DNA Life is one the specialized tests that study these SNPs and therefore provide crucial insights into our genetic makeup and ultimately into our body’s functioning. This in turn helps health professionals and fitness coaches make informed choices based on which treatments, supplements, therapies and regimes an individual would respond most positively to. Also, it helps trace the roots of and determine the genetic basis of various physical, psychological and behavioural conditions. Ultimately all of this holds the key to providing individualised healthcare to people in a manner that is specially tailored to them from their diet to their medicine and even exercise. This is why DNA Life holds the key to the future of healthcare and is a must for any serious contender in the field.
DNA LIFE WORK?
DNA Life® is dedicated to providing healthcare practitioners with training and education to accurately interpret genetic test results. Our cutting edge genetic tests (DNA Diet, DNA Health, DNA Sport, DNA Oestrogen) provide valuable information across the health spectrum; from weight management and risk of chronic diseases, to optimal training and recovery strategies.
Every person responds and reacts to different foods differently and your genetic makeup is the reason behind it. Genetic testing and Nutrigenomics are the future of individualised healthcare. Although reliable genetic testing is readily available for clinical use, genetics is still a relatively new clinical tool. Until recently, healthcare practitioners have been left to educate themselves in this exciting area of clinical science, by simply picking up information where they can. It is for this reason that Nordic Laboratories and DNAlysis Biotechnology, both promoters of individualized medicine, created DNA Life®.
WHY ARE SNPS IMPORTANT?
We know that a SNP is a variation in a single nucleotide that occurs at a specific position in the genome. Although, SNPs alone will not cause disease, however they can predict which diseases an individual is prone to have and change responsiveness to environmental factors.
GENETIC TESTING AND WHY IT’S SO IMPORTANT?
Genetic testing is a type of medical test that involves the detection of specific alleles, mutations, genotypes or karyotypes that are associated with heritable traits, diseases or predispositions to disease for the individual or their descendants. It identifies changes in chromosomes, genes or proteins by getting to the basis of a patient’s biochemistry. The results of a genetic test can confirm or rule out a suspected genetic condition.
NUTRIGENOMIC TESTING AND PHYSICAL FITNESS?
Nutrigenomics testing helps in identifying and evaluating certain genetic markers and develop a comprehensive report along with recommendations that help a person in achieving the fitness level they desire with determining a patient’s unique metabolic needs. We usually take supplements in hopes of improving our nutrition, but we lack the specific knowledge or a scientific basis for our nutritional needs, and therefore end up wasting money on supplements with little to no benefit. Personalised genetic testing solves this problem by providing patients with a targeted, concrete, evidence-based account of their specific nutritional needs. Nutrigenomic services are totally safe and completely non-invasive, requiring only a cheek swab or saliva for a functional sample.
Price: £350 | Duration: 1 hour (including consultation)
There are lots of skin care products available, but a cream or treatment that works well for someone else might not be the right one for you. It is important to understand exactly how your skin responds to environmental factors such as sun exposure and which specific skin care ingredients are best suited to your skin profile. A skin care DNA test can shed new light on your skin’s exact needs.
DNA Skin test identifies your skin’s genetic potential in seven key areas:
- Collagen quality
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin sensitivity
- Skin elasticity
- Sun protection
- Skin antioxidants
DURATION OF TIME REQUIRED
The usual time required to get the to get the result of a DNA test is 4-6 weeks.